Spring is in the air! This brings a nice warm breeze, plenty of sunshine and allergies. We all know allergies cause itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing, and headaches. Instead of running out to buy over the counter medications, try natural supplements and everyday changes to minimize allergies. Here are some ways to minimize the effects of outdoor allergy:
- Avoid outdoor activities during peak allergy times (early dusk and dawn)
- Close household windows during allergy season
- Vacuum the house frequently
- Wash hands frequently
- Do not drive with the windows down during allergy season
A few supplements I recommend are:
- Astragalus- this can be taken individually or part of a Chinese herbal formula to boost the immune system.
- Evening primrose- a natural,oil to help suppress allergies.
- Green tea- an antioxidant which blocks the production of histamine which causes allergy symptoms.
- Skullcap- an antioxidant which has antihistamine properties.
- Probiotics- by increasing good bacteria, allergy symptoms are decreased
- Vitamin C- another antioxidant to decrease allergy symptoms by increasing the immune system
By applying these tips to your daily routine along with acupuncture, this allergy season should be a pleasant one.
Post by Punita Jhangiani ,L.Ac, FABORM